So I write sleep eat and think about careers..sounds kind of crazy ..hey it's a passion..amongst others..this little corner of the universe is about conversations that I am having with interesting people along my own journey and, as a career coach.

Thursday, December 15, 2005

Howard Stern's Definition of Success

First of all, I realize that you most likely are not a Howard Stern fan. That being said, you can't deny the success that he has had in the morning radio market. He just signed a $500 million (yes, that is the right number) contract with Sirius Satellite, including a brand new Studio.


Sirius is hoping that Stern’s audience will follow, and pay to listen to the show. Howard has had a successful morning show for 20 years, a successful book, and a successful DVD. Whether you agree with him or not, there are millions of people who start their day according to the gospel of Howard - raunch and rock & roll.


You may have seen a recent interview on 60 minutes with Howard Stern and Ed Bradley. The thing that I was most impressed with was when Stern admitted to a fear of failing. Ed asked him if he thought he was successful; Howard seemed to struggle with the answer. It was obvious that, from Stern’s perspective, he had still not answered that question. Ed asked; "You have just signed a 1/2 billion dollar deal". Howard responded; "It's not the money that drives me. I will wake up at 2 in the morning. Whoever hires me gets a crazy guy focused on connecting with his audience. That's what drives me."


You may ask, well then, why doesn't he work for free? It's expensive to live in New York!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home