So I write sleep eat and think about careers..sounds kind of crazy ..hey it's a passion..amongst others..this little corner of the universe is about conversations that I am having with interesting people along my own journey and, as a career coach.

Thursday, October 13, 2005

How to Make Sure You Give the Right Information in an Interview

Brad Chartrand plays for the Los Angeles Kings. He has
been playing hockey for a number of years (except, of
course, for last season!) Brad and 700 other players
had an extended summer holiday.



A number of players went overseas; however, Brad and
his wife decided to move back to Saratoga Springs,
N.Y. To stay in shape, he decided to start playing pick
up hockey with some of the guys in town. Not knowing
anyone, he called the local conveynor of the league to
ask if there was any space on the team. The
conversation went something like this:



Brad: "Hi my name is Brad, is there any space on your
team?"

Convenor: "Nope"

Brad: "Can I be put on a back-up list?"

Convenor: "No such thing."

Brad: "You should start a list, in case someone can't
make it."

Convenor: "OK, I'll start list. What is your name and
number, and, oh, what level of hockey did you play last
year?"

Brad: "I played NHL last year."

Convenor: (LONG pause) "Bulls@#$!"

Brad: "Look it up."

Convenor: (VERY long pause) "Gee, it's amazing, we
just had a spot open up on our team. You start
Wednesday at 9:00!"



Lesson learned: when you are in an interview situation,
never take for granted what you know, and who you
know. The person interviewing you doesn't know as
much about you as you think. Get the important
details and differentiations out early. You may get a
spot on the team!



Do you need help with the interview process? Check
out our 90 Day Career Search Program, which includes
researching and role playing for interview preparation.


For more information, visit us on the Web at
http://www.careerjoy.com/services/90day.cfm.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great example moron; maybe he didn't want to act cocky, call up and say, "hi , I play in the NHL so you should let me in your league."


And how does this compare to a job interview?

7:48 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello! I hope all is going well with you. I own a website covering educative material relating to Self-Improvement and similar matters. As I read your blog, I recalled how I discovered a way to give money for charitable purposes where the donation will not be spent on administration. Get the full story here. And do please check out my Self-Improvement-related products. Thank you very much.

12:48 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

if u want an ipod, you can go to www.getipodsforfree.com and do an offer. follow the instructions and they'll actually send you a freeipod, no joke, there's reviews all over the internet

11:17 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home