So I write sleep eat and think about careers..sounds kind of crazy ..hey it's a passion..amongst others..this little corner of the universe is about conversations that I am having with interesting people along my own journey and, as a career coach.

Thursday, November 10, 2005

How to Get a Lucky Break

Recently there was an award banquet for the Young Entrepreneur Awards. The participants were from across the country, and were all under the age of 35.


One of the winners was Melody Dover. She is 34 and lives in Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island. Melody is the founder of Fresh Media Inc., an organization that does web design and branding work on the east coast.


I was fascinated by her story - three years ago she fell and broke her right wrist. Now, you have to understand that at the time, she was a graphic designer. It was a bit difficult to do design work with her wrist in a cast, to say the least!


For some people this would be absolutely terrible. While the injury was painful for her, both professionally and personally, it was the best thing that ever happened to her.


In Melody’s own words; "With my arm in a cast, I realized I had to expand my skills. I took the Interactive Multimedia course at Holland College." While taking the course, she won first prize in Animediafest. This led to the start of people approaching her to do work for them. She said; "I realized this was a great opportunity."


With $2,000, some used equipment, and a small office, away she went and launched her own company. Melody's broken wrist, but more importantly her mindset, enabled her to see this as a “lucky break”. She took courageous and appropriate action to move forward in her life.


As they say - "break a leg"! It could be the best thing that ever happens to you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home