So I write sleep eat and think about careers..sounds kind of crazy ..hey it's a passion..amongst others..this little corner of the universe is about conversations that I am having with interesting people along my own journey and, as a career coach.

Tuesday, December 27, 2005

How You Can Get Ahead In 2006

I recently drove to our Toronto office in one of the worst snowstorms we have had in the past few years. I was heading there to take part in a new TV show coming out on the Women's Network. As they say, the show must go on – literally!


One of the things I realized as I was driving was how much I used my rear view mirror. To be frank, I never noticed how much I relied on it to give me information and perspective, as well as to make sure that no one was going to plow into my rear end.


Needless to say, I got to Toronto safe and sound - a few Tim Horton coffees and 12 litres of windshield washer fluid later. This got me thinking of how we need to look back to look forward. I call it The Rear View Mirror Principle.


You may be asking yourself; “When was the rear view mirror invented?”. Funny you should ask. It was invented in 1911 by Ray Harroun, who drove to victory in the first Indy 500. He thought driving alone would give him an advantage over his competitors, who would have the added weight of a co-driver/mechanic. With the help of the mirror, he was still able to see who was in position to pass him.


Ray found a tool that helped him gain perspective. Looking back enabled him to drive forward. This is a key principle, as you reflect on 2005. It can give you an advantage in this coming year.


3 key questions to reflect upon:

1. What were your 3 biggest accomplishments?

2. What were your 3 biggest challenges?

3. What was the most important thing you have learned this past year?


Ah, you say you are too busy? Miss one show of Survivor, invest one hour of your time, and, presto! You will gain a new perspective.


Send me an email of some of the challenges you have overcome this year, and I will send you a copy of CareerJoy’s US or Canadian Job Search Kit - our gift to you, to help you along the path to winning your own race.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home