So I write sleep eat and think about careers..sounds kind of crazy ..hey it's a passion..amongst others..this little corner of the universe is about conversations that I am having with interesting people along my own journey and, as a career coach.

Thursday, September 21, 2006

Are you feeling lost?

I remember a time when I was young - it was my first time taking the bus, and I was supposed to meet my parents and some family friends at a specific time and place. I can't remember all the details, but instead of getting on the red bus, I got on the green bus (or vice versa). A few hours later, I found myself in the safe hands of the Metropolitan Police Force and was reunited with my family.


Have you ever been lost, I mean, really lost? I have noticed this theme, of feeling lost, and not being sure of the direction to follow. Your sense of fear, confidence and decision making are affected.


This past week, Martin Lake was rescued. He had been lost for 5 days near Alice Springs Australia and it was reported that "he looked like a fresh cooked lobster". He had apparently decided to take one more look at the outback, before he was to fly back to Britain. Five days later, with no water, no hat, no sun block, and no map, he was finally rescued. Now that is quite a walk!


This is not the entire story, however. The previous week he got lost in the exact same area, and was missing for 3 nights. He contacted police with his cellular phone and was found after an air and ground search. He is currently recovering in the Alice Springs Hospital. The hotel receptionist said; "I think he was a bit embarrassed about it because he realized that people just don't get lost in that area. He was also aware that he could have easily perished out there because you can't really survive in the midday heat for more than a couple of days without water."


If we could have watched him, I think we would have seen a similar pattern in both cases. To change the outcome, you need to change the pattern. If you are lost, or feel like you are getting lost again within your career, you need to change the way you are going about dealing with the problem. Get a map (a career plan), get a guide (a coach), and don't forget your hat.


This week’s 10 minute WORKout

Where are you lost? Be really honest with yourself - what different kind of action could you take?


Along the road with you,


Alan Kearns

1 Comments:

Blogger Mary said...

I think this Martin Lake is the friend, Marty, told me about.
When my friend, Marty, told me about an Englihsman going to the bush without water nor even a hat, I could not believe him.
Knowing Alice Springs, I could not believe someone could have done such a thing. And it happened twuce: a suicidal behaviour in my opinion. But my friend Marty was not fooling me.
Good luck,Lobster!
Mary, a friend of DJ Marty

10:42 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home