So I write sleep eat and think about careers..sounds kind of crazy ..hey it's a passion..amongst others..this little corner of the universe is about conversations that I am having with interesting people along my own journey and, as a career coach.

Thursday, August 03, 2006

Are you waiting in the heat?

I am currently on an airplane on my way to visit some very good friends in Calgary. It is the middle of a heat wave in Toronto - as they say, hotter than, well, to use a more pleasant description, Darwin Australia (where your laundry can dry in 10 minutes on the line).


As I was driving to the airport to meet my family, I spotted at least 100 limos parked in a holding area. The drivers were sitting in their cars, waiting for their turn to pick up passengers at the terminal. I am not sure how many of them are satisfied in their careers, or not, but I was struck by this picture. How many people in life are sitting, just waiting for the right opportunity?


I recently hired a limo – the driver introduced himself and asked me if I wanted to read the Globe and Mail or The National Post. When I arrived at my destination, he handed me his business card and asked when I was returning. Would I need a limo back? This gentleman was not the type to sit and wait. He was proud of what he was doing - he went the extra mile, and he paid attention to opportunity. I would be surprised if he and his $60,000 Lincoln Continental were sitting and waiting for clients. Some people wait, some create. It’s your choice.


Today’s 10 Minute WORKout:

Write down two things that you could do in your current role to create new opportunities for you and your organization.


Along the road with you,

Alan Kearns

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home