So I write sleep eat and think about careers..sounds kind of crazy ..hey it's a passion..amongst others..this little corner of the universe is about conversations that I am having with interesting people along my own journey and, as a career coach.

Thursday, May 04, 2006

Spending time with Canada's richest man

You never know what kinds of decisions that you will make in a day – ones that could open the door to a great opportunity.


This past Saturday, I was downtown at a hotel in the Yorkville area. I had decided to spend a few hours working on a book that I am writing, to be published by Harper Collins at the end of this year (details to follow!). I managed to get some really good work done, so I decided to wander around Yorkville. As I was wandering, I stopped at a private art gallery. I noticed the gallery was fairly busy, and was showing a particular artist’s work.


Out of the corner of my eye, I noticed someone that I thought looked like Kenneth Thomson. In case you haven’t heard, he happens to own a number of companies, including The Globe & Mail. Mr. Thomson is worth over $19 Billion US dollars – yes, that is “billion” with a “B”.


I had never been in the same room as a billionaire before - needless to say, I was interested without being intrusive. I watched as he and his wife were introduced by the owner of the gallery to the artist whose work was being featured. I noticed how respectful they were, and how generally curious Ken and his wife appeared regarding the artist’s style and work.


As I thought about this, I realized this type of behaviour – being respectful, curious, and looking to understand what the artist was thinking - is part of the reason for his success. Mr. Thomson has one of the greatest art collections in the world. He has hundreds of millions of dollars worth of art hanging on his walls, and yet he doesn’t appear to think more highly of himself. Rather, he related to the artist as a peer.


I wondered how these types of attitudes have helped him be so successful as a business person. Yes, he is very well connected, but his respect for the expertise of others and his understanding of the way they contribute has probably helped with his own development both as a person and as a professional.


So, be respectful, be curious, and always look for opportunities to learn. You never know who is watching.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I too watch Mr. Thompson as I drive periodicaly through Rosedale. I see him walk his little white dog and truly amazed of his accomplishments.

But what amazes me most is his simplicity of life. He amongst million dollar mansions.

Mr. Thompson's home is most modest and unasuming. His humility is most evident in his lifestyle as a choice for simple and humble living.

It is an encouragement in my own life that no matter what your net worth is...simplicity of life is truly key to successful living...

Your observation are right on!

Normand Haas, Toronto, Ontario

8:50 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is an excellent blog. Keep it going.You are providing
a great resource on the Internet here!
If you have a moment, please take a look at my art work site.
Have a great week!

11:17 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home