So I write sleep eat and think about careers..sounds kind of crazy ..hey it's a passion..amongst others..this little corner of the universe is about conversations that I am having with interesting people along my own journey and, as a career coach.

Friday, March 17, 2006

What can Sting teach us about our careers?

Sting is one of my favourite musicians. I recently picked up a DVD documenting Sting’s life - most specifically, the time surrounding the recording of his first solo album.


There were many things I learned from watching this documentary. Sting said; "One of the greatest things in my life is that I don't know where my life is. I don’t have the faintest idea of what I will be doing a year from now. One of the reasons I left teaching was that I could predict that I would be the Assistant Head Master in 10 years. I could see what my life would look like. That was a nightmare. I much prefer not knowing what is around the corner."


Sting grew up the son of a milkman. At the end of his street was a shipyard. Men would work on the ships for 9 months, and then send them out to sea, never to be seen again. This became the metaphor for how Sting saw his life - embarking on the great adventure of life, rather than staying safe in the harbour.


Sting's gift to the world is to be a tremendous lyricist and composer. He spoke about the time he knew that he had reached his dream. It was when he was in the hospital and a window cleaner started to whistle Roxanne. Sting said; "I almost started to weep". He had a similar experience in another hospital, when, waiting for his son to be born, Sting heard an orderly whistling Walking on the Moon. "It is a great privilege to do what I am gifted in and to be able to impact others."


What is your “SOS to the world"? What is your “Message in the Bottle”? I hope someone gets your message – visit us at www.careerjoy.com and we can help get your message out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home