So I write sleep eat and think about careers..sounds kind of crazy ..hey it's a passion..amongst others..this little corner of the universe is about conversations that I am having with interesting people along my own journey and, as a career coach.

Friday, February 11, 2005

Is Your Work GRRRReat

frosted flakes
Every morning millions of us sit down to eat breakfast and marketing 101 is there to stare back at us from across the table, even before our mind has awoken.

However, this is not true for everyone. At around 6:30am one fall morning in 1989 Chris Leamon had come home from working all night in the lab. Sitting with his wife in his student apartment, he entered his morning routine. He grabbed a bowl, some milk and his trusted Frosty Flakes. At this time he was working on his PHD in Chemistry from Purdue University. His mother had died of cancer and this had led him on a career journey to find chemotherapeutic drugs with less side effects. As usual, he was scanning the box and looking at ingredients. For some reason that morning he had a "aha" moment. Folic acid. For some reason that hit him in a unique way.

Chris said "I knew it was it" this was the key to mark cancer cells in a specific way, enabling a specific type of drugs to fight tumors. It just goes to show that you never know where eureka moments will occur. I believe that Chris's hard work in the lab enabled this possibility, however, his openness and curiosity in other areas of his life led to the answers he was searching for. Keep your eyes and ears open and as Chris said:

"I have had lots of eureka moments in the lab, but none as great. That breakfast redefined my career and my life"

Eureka is available.



Along the road with you...

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Comment

1:53 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey there Alan Kearns,

I've just been doing some surfing and happened apon your blog. this post interested me, I'll be back again to see how things are progressing.

I have a website on work at home on internet... if you get a minute, why don't you drop by and have a look.

Peace,
Bradford
http://bradfordmoore.com

6:19 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey there Alan Kearns,

I've just been doing some surfing and happened apon your blog. this post interested me, I'll be back again to see how things are progressing.

I have a website on make money home based business... if you get a minute, why don't you drop by and have a look.

Peace,
Bradford
http://bradfordmoore.com

2:45 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well made blog you have here! - Interesting information. Please come and visit mine sometime http://www.surveyearn.biz/MysteryShopper/Mystery_Shopper.html-professional mystery shopper

6:06 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I find your Blog interesting - some thoughtful comments abound!

You are welcome to come visit my site http://www.small-business-web-design.ssr.be which is about top ranking web site design

2:49 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A fantastic blog yours. Keep it up.
If you have a moment, please visit my 13th boston meeting sept work site.
I send you warm regards and wish you continued success.

7:34 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home